1997- 2001: PhD, Faculty of Agriculture, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (AUTh)
1994- 1996: MSc in Crop Protection, Faculty of Agriculture, AUTh
1989- 1994: Bachelor in Agricultural Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture, AUTh
2013 - : Associate Professor in Agricultural Entomology and Zoology, Department of Agricultural Development, Democritus University of Thrace (DUTh)
2012 - : Adjunct Professor, Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Chania (MAICh)
2009 - 2013: Assistant Professor, Department of Agricultural Development, DUTh
2003 - 2009: Lecturer, Department of Agricultural Development, DUTh
2002 - 2003: Adjunct Lecturer in the Department of Agricultural Development, DUTh
2002 - 2003: Teaching Assistant, Technological Educational Institute of Larissa, Department of Plant Production
2001 - 2003: Postdoctoral Researcher, Faculty of Agriculture, AUTh
1994 - 1999: Research Assistant, Faculty of Agriculture, AUTh
Insect Pests of Arable Crops and Vegetables (since 2003)
Pests of Stored Products and of Medical Importance (since 2009)
Principles and Methods of Integrated Insect Pest Management (2003-2007)
General Agricultural Zoology and Entomology (since 2003 - 2013)
Pests of Fruit Trees and Vine Grapes (since 2003)
Acarology-Nematology (since 2003)
Pests of Stored Products (2007-2009)
Integrated Production Systems in Agricultural Production (2010)
General Zoology (since 2014)
Integrated management of crop insect pests (since 2014)
Insect—Plant Interactions (since 2014)
New trends in Crop Protection (since 2007) (1/2)
“Insect Management”, Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Chania (MAICh) (since 2012)
Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
2009: Visiting Scientist at the Institute of Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands (OECD Fellowship 08/06/09 – 15/06/09)
Greek State Scholarships Foundation (É.Ê.Õ.)
2007: Visiting Scientist at the Department of Applied Entomology, Agricultural University of Warsaw, (National Fellowship Foundation, one week 12/2007)
2005: Visiting Scientist at the Department of Experimental Ecology, Institute of Entomology, Ceske Budejovice (National Fellowship Foundation, 12/12/2005-19/12/2005)
2002-2003: Postdoctoral Research Fellow. Laboratory of Entomology, Department of Agriculture, AUTh (7.000,0 €, 12 months)
1995-1998: Master and Doctoral studies
· “Identification of promising natural enemies within the European Chrysoperla carnea (Neuroptera: Chrysopidae) cryptic species group” (2013-2017, Funding: BIOBEST BELGIUM NV) (Coordinator).
· “Evaluation of the selectivity of two insecticides to indigenous biological control agents in cotton fields in Northern Greece” (2014, Funding: DuPont de Nemours France) (Coordinator)
· “Pesticides toxicity-selectivity to non target beneficial arthropods-predatory mites of the family Phytoseiidae”. (Position held: Group leader and Coordinator; Budget: 50.000,0 €; Duration: 1/3/2004-12/31/2007; Co– funded by the Greek Ministry of National Education and Religious Affairs and EU).
· “Plant mediated effects of herbivory by zoophytophagous predatory insects on pest species”, bilateral research project in collaboration with Prof. Dr. A. Steppuhn (Freie Universität Berlin) for the promotion of the exchange and scientific cooperation between Greece and Germany (IKYDA 2011-2014) (Position held: Coordinator of the Greek research team).
· External Research Associate in more than 25 research projects relevant with the evaluation of the toxic effects of crop protection products to non target organisms (beneficial insects and mites) and the efficiency of new insecticides and acaricides to key insect and mite pest species.
· External Research Associate in two completed research projects relevant with integrated pest management (IPM) and biological control in pome fruit orchards and vegetable greenhouse crops, respectively.
Biological control of insect and mite pests
Integrated Insect Pest Management
Side effects of pesticides to non target organisms (arthropods)
Day degree phenological models
European Association of Acarologists (EURAAC)
Broufas G.D. and D.S. Koveos, 2000. Threshold temperature for post-diapause development and degree-days to hatching of winter eggs of the red spider mite Panonychus ulmi (Acari: Tetranychidae) in northern Greece. Environmental Entomology 29: 710-713.
Broufas G.D. and D.S. Koveos, 2000. Effect of different pollens on development, survivorship and reproduction of Euseius finlandicus (Acari: Phytoseiidae). Environmental Entomology 29: 743-749
Broufas, G.D., M.L., Pappas and D.S. Koveos, 2006. Effect of cold exposure and photoperiod on diapause termination of the predatory mite Euseius finlandicus (Acari: Phytoseiidae). Environmental Entomology 35 (5): 1216-1221.
Pappas, M.L., G.D., Broufas and D.S. Koveos, 2007. Effects of various prey species on development, survival and reproduction of the predatory lacewing Dichochrysa prasina (Neuroptera: Chrysopidae). Biological Control 43: 163-170
Pappas M.L., G.D. Broufas and D.S. Koveos, 2008. Effect of relative humidity on development, survival and reproduction of the predatory lacewing Dichochrysa prasina (Neuroptera: Chrysopidae). Biological Control 46(2): 234-241.
Broufas G.D., M.L. Pappas, G. Vassiliou and D.S. Koveos, 2008. Toxicity of certain pesticides to the predatory mite Euseius finlandicus (Acari: Phytoseiidae). IOBC wprs Bulletin Vol. 35, 85-91.
Broufas G.D., M.L. Pappas and D.S. Koveos 2009. Effect of relative humidity on reproduction, longevity and ovarian maturation of the tephritid fly Bactocera (Dacus) oleae. Annals of the Entomological Society of America 102(1): 70-75.
George D. Broufas
Department of Agricultural Development
Democritus University of Thrace
Pantazidou 193, 68200, Orestiada, Greece
Tel. / Fax: +30 25520 41154
Skype ID: george.broufas
Updated March 2015